Friday, October 15, 2010

Caprese Pasta Salad


My family loves Caprese Salad, so when I saw this in America's Test Kitchen's 30-Minutes Suppers, I knew I had to try it. It was good, although too pasta-y for me, so the recipe below reflects a reduction of pasta by half. I doubled the dressing as I find a dry pasta salad very unappealing, and I was glad for it. I don't think it will replace our summertime Caprese Salad, but it was yummy and more substantial.

Somewhere in Italy, Jeff had Caprese Salad. I remember him ordering it, but I don't remember where we were at the time. You have to hand it to the Italians, they do simple food to perfection.

Caprese Pasta Salad

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
salt & pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup EVOO
1/2 half pound rigatoni
2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 cups halved fresh mini mozzarella balls
(if you can find pearls, no need to cut)
1 cup basil leaves, roughly torn

1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Whisk vinegar, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and pepper flakes in large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil.

2. Add 1 tablespoon salt and rigatoni to boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water.

3. Transfer pasta to bowl with dressing and toss with dressing, tomatoes, cheese, and basil until thoroughly mixed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

Serves 4.

No comments: