Sunday, September 12, 2010

“Each time we face our fear, we gain strength, courage, and confidence in the doing.” Author Unknown

I know fear. I have felt the throat-constricting fear of watching my daughter being wheeled to surgery. I have awoken in the middle of the night tear-stained from nightmares when my sons were deployed. I have felt cold dread crawl up my spine upon hearing the doorbell, when a son was deployed. I have heard a doctor give news that made me question how many days I had left with my child.


I have known unbridled joy from those same children. I have loved a man with all my heart. I have grieved the loss of my parents. I have shelved dreams, but without regret as the sacrifice brought greater rewards.

I ache for a son whose dreams have not only been lost, but unbelievable pain and betrayal have stolen into their place. I fear for a daughter whose health is once again in question. I feel the emptiness of a son who has moved away and is weeding through choices his life will bring him. I cheer on a son who questions himself, in spite of my clear vision of his incredible gifts.

I celebrate those rare days when I have been with or spoken to each of those children, for it is they who ground me, who remind me of the fullness of life and for whom I see that all things are possible.

No comments: